The IESA continues to monitor the recommendations the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as it relates to coronavirus (COVID-19). While there have been incidences of confirmation of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Illinois, all groups continue to recommend taking individual precautions that prevent any virus (see below).
Any cancellation to competitions will be addressed on a case-by-case basis and information regarding any changes to events will be posted to the IESA website. For any events that remain scheduled as planned, we encourage our host schools, coaches, volunteers, staff, families, etc. to not only protect themselves, but the athletes as well by taking the necessary precautions to minimize the spread of any virus.
CDC Guidelines for Prevention
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Stay home when you are sick. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow directions of your local health authority.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
For Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Updates on COVID-19 click here
For Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on COVID-19 click here
For Sports Safety Guidance according to the IDPH on COVID-19 click here
For COVID-19 Daily Press Briefings by Govenor J.B. Pritzker click here